These chewy cookies ooze with gooey chocolate chunks in a mixture of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate. Perfect triple chocolate cookies to please all types of chocoholics!
Tomorrow is my birthday. I’ve had the week off from work and I’ve spent it doing my favourite things. I’ve baked, I’ve finished the book I was reading, I’ve baked some more, I’ve done some gardening, I’ve baked.
Tomorrow, my plan is to get up late, head to a birthday party at lunchtime (not for my birthday, just being held on my birthday. I think I explained last year in my March summary post how there’s a cluster of birthdays all together in our family) and then I’ll finish the evening with plenty of cake. The great thing is that I’m not actually back at work until Wednesday, so my birthday can extend into next week as well! Winner- who wants a birthday that only lasts a day anyway?
This recipe, for triple chocolate cookies, was first on the list of things I knew I wanted to cook up during my week off work. The great thing about these chocolate cookies is that you can mix and match them any way you like. They have milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate, so there’s every type of chocolate for every type of chocoholic! For an extra dose of chocolate, add a spoonful of cocoa powder in with the flour for a quadruple chocolate cookie (maybe that’s going a bit too far…)
It’s another twist on one of my absolute favourite cookie recipes. I have two go-to recipes for cookies (this one, and one using condensed milk) and I can’t pick a favourite. I like to mix between the two, amending here and there with each trying out different types of sugar, or adding bicarbonate of soda, or extra spices. This one is just perfect with plenty of chunky chocolate pieces. I like to use bars of chocolate broken into chunks, as opposed to chocolate chips, because it adds that oozy texture when you bite into one of the chunks. With this recipe, there’s three types of chocolate, so it’ll be a surprise which chocolate piece you get. It’s like a game of chocolate chunk roulette in each cookie!
These cookies are suitable for freezing. It’s ideal if you’d like fresh cookies ready to serve for any surprise guests! Just scoop the mixture out into tablespoonfuls and freeze on a baking sheet covered with clingfilm. When hard, pop them into a freezer bag. Cook straight from frozen for about 20 minutes or until they’re turning golden and just crisp.
* * *
These chewy cookies ooze with gooey chocolate chunks in a mixture of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and white chocolate. Perfect chocolate chunk cookies to please all types of chocoholics!
- 125g softened butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 60g golden syrup
- 250g self-raising flour
- 50g milk chocolate, cut into chunks
- 50g dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- 75g white chocolate, cut into chunks
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c/350°f/gas mark 4. Grease two baking trays or line with a sheet of greaseproof paper. (You might need three depending on the size of your trays).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and golden syrup until pale and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla essence and beaten egg, then add all the chocolate chunks and gently stir through the batter.
- Sieve in the flour and fold in with a large metal spoon until all combined. Scoop out large teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking tray, leaving space for the cookies to spread. Press it down slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until they are golden brown in colour (shorter if you like your cookies really soft and gooey). Leave to cook on the trays, where they will harden as they cool, then transfer to a wire rack. ▪